If you’ve downloaded bootcamp drivers for Macs to run Windows 7 or 8, but have done the download in Windows, you may be stuck on how to open the downloaded BootCampESD.pkg file you’ve now got.

The answer is to get a copy of 7-zip, which is free, and which is your ‘Swiss army knife’ to open the Apple .pkg and .dmg files and the ISO file inside.

1. Launch 7-zip
  2. In 7-zip, open the BootCampESD.pkg. Inside you’ll find a Payload file and a few other files. Double click the Payload file.
  3. Inside is a folder, which you double click. Inside that another folder, which you double click. Inside that … just keep clicking down the levels of nested folders.
  4. Eventually, several levels down, you’ll get to a file called 0.Apple_ISO or some such.
  5. Now, extract this o.Apple_ISO to the desktop (or somewhere) and rename it to Apple.ISO.
  6. Now, either: Mount it by double clicking it—should work in Windows 7—or else by getting hold of PowerISO or similar; OR use 7-zip again to open this ISO file, and extract the contents to a folder.
  7. These are you driver installers. Create an empty folder on your desktop, and drag them out into it.
  8. Finally, open the folder you just created, and run the setup.exe

95 thoughts on “Opening a BootCamp Drivers download or other pkg or dmg file on Windows 7 or 8 with 7-Zip

1. Pingback: Opening a BootCamp driver download or other pkg or dmg file on Windows 7 or - Vikram's Web Archive

2. Kevin

Step 2 doesn’t make any sense. What type of file is the Payload file? The file does not have any extension and is not by default associated with any application in Windows 7. What application do I use to open the Payload file? Without knowing the answers to these questions it is impossible to complete step 2 and move to step 3.

1. Chris F Carroll Post author

Hi Kevin, if you did step 1 with 7-zip then at steps 2 and 3 you are still in 7-zip and within the 7-zip gui you click on the Payload file. 7-zip then opens it within the same window. Sorry it wasn’t clear, Chris

3. Joe

Im stuck in windows first of all. then after i copy the o-apple_ISO to my desktop and rename it to .iso it turns into a disc image and i cant open it. windows keeps trying to burn it to a disc, why? help please

1. Chris F Carroll Post author

Hi Joe, Turning into a disk image is correct, that’s what it is. What should happen next is that Window mounts it as if it were a disk.
      If that doesn’t work try this instead: Instead of saving the 0.Apple_ISO to the desktop, just stay in 7-zip and double click it. Then, drag all the contents to an empty folder on the desktop.

4. qayyum

hey, im a newbie in mac, i installed windows in my macbook pro 9,2, downloaded the support software from your site, when extract the file is less then 6mb and nothing happened to it. eg: wifi and bluetooth, right click and audio. need help. thanks

5. Noah Jay

Hey, I get most of this, just one question: once my files are extracted from the iso in windows (on my mac), how do I install them? Do I need to restart my computer with them on an intall drive, or something, or can I install them directly in windows?

Trying to figure out whether to install windows now, and then download the files when I have a faster connection available, or to wait for that connection to have Boot Camp download them correctly…

1. Admin

Hi Noah, in Windows, just double click the setup.exe. No restart or anything, just run the file.
      If you install Windows before you’ve got the bootcamp drivers, you will get a working mostly usable Windows install, it’s just that the graphics won’t be so fast and the nice Apple hardware features – camera, trackpad gestures – won’t work.
      NB the easier way to download is on /p682/download-bootcamp-drivers

6. Peter jr.

Is there a way I can download on Windows and Copy it to my MacBook ? If Macs could read fat 32 drives this could be possible, but wondering if it would affect the PKG/DMG files

7. Pingback: Download BootCamp Drivers for Macs to run Windows 7 or 8

8. Peter Vateha

Hi Chris, today I did instal with boot camp on my Mac, Windows 7. During the instalation I did click on “download the latest version of windows support from apple”, but did not choose storage place on my usb driver :-(. then the instalation continue, finish and windows works, but can not get next step – instal the apple drivers (setup – application). now, I do not know what to do. I tried to read your advises on this web page, but I am not very good in english, so I ve got trouble :-). Also I can get back to my mac, because during booting always windows starts, although I press and hold backspace button. There is no possibility to choose other boot driver. So can you help me also sending mi solution on my email: peter.vateha@gmail.com ? Thank you very much!

1. Chris F Carroll Post author

Hi Peter, If you don’t specify where the download goes, I think it goes into /Library/ somewhere. The simple thing is just to start again from OS X and remember to choose a location.

To get back into Mac: as the computer starts up, hold down the alt key.

9. James G

Thanks for this post! I recently wiped my oct 2009 13″ macbook hdd clean and did a fresh install of windows 7. There are no traces of OSX on the laptop as of now. I downloaded these drivers and picked them out in 7zip and have them on my desktop. However, in the folder I see VISTAXP2K, si32.exe, si64.exe, ssetup.exe and a couple other files. When I click setup, not much happens except for a successful install of Motorola SM56 drivers. Still no functionality of trackpad or function keys. Any thoughts?

1. Mikko H

I had exactly the same situation than James G. I’have early 2009 Mac Mini (3.1) with only Windows 7 installed, no OS X.

Top level folder did not look like the picture you linked. Setup file was named ssetup.exe and for me too it installed (?) Motorola SM56 drivers. Any help is appreciated.