Appears to be irritatingly missing. So I did https://github.com/chrisfcarroll/RequireClaimAttributeAspNetCore
Like this: Edit your IIS Express config file at
Create a site which has two applications defined in it, e.g.
<site name="MyTopLevelAndChildWebAppsInOneSite" id="123" > <application path="/" applicationPool="Clr4IntegratedAppPool"> <virtualDirectory path="/" physicalPath="C:\Users\me\Source\TopLevelWebApp" /> </application> <application path="/Child" applicationPool="Clr4IntegratedAppPool"> <virtualDirectory path="/" physicalPath="C:\Users\me\Source\ChildWebApp" /> </application> <bindings> <binding protocol="http" bindingInformation="*:51234:localhost" /> </bindings> </site>
And then run the site, matching it on the
start "Woo!" "C:\Program Files (x86)\IIS Express\iisexpress.exe" /siteid:123
Browse to, and close, your web apps in the usual way from the IIS Express icon in the systray.
Optionally, experience the pain that is web.config inheritance. But try not to.
Is an error you are likely to see if you run a Visual Studio MVC template in Mono. There are two options for fixing it.
- Do this from the command line:
sudo mkdir /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/3.2.5/etc/mono/registry sudo chmod g+rwx /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/3.2.5/etc/mono/registry
3.2.5with your mono version, which you get at the command line with
- Or delete the reference to
Microsoft.Web.Infrastructure.dllfrom the project and delete it from the bin directory too.
The important difference is that deleting
Microsoft.Web.Infrastructure.dll will stop your project working on .Net, so the registry access is simpler for cross-platformers. Another option for cross-platform project files would be something like this in the .csproj file:
<Target Name="AfterBuild"> <Delete Files="$(WebProjectOutputDir)\bin\Microsoft.Web.Infrastructure.dll" Condition=" '$(OS)' != 'Windows_NT'" /> </Target>
I prefer the ‘grant access to the registry approach’ myself but it does mean having to re-run the 2 line script for every new version of mono.
If you use the VS template to create a new ‘internet’ web application, then the template includes code for Asp.Net simple membership. But the template is written for SqlExpress. If you instead have a full SQL Server install on your machine it won’t work.
The first exception you might see when debugging in visual studio is,
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
or if you aren’t debugging you might see
The system cannot find the file specified
neither of which help at all.
so first, change the connection string in web.config to use your local SQL Server:
<add name="DefaultConnection" connectionString="Data Source=(LocalDb)\v11.0;Initial Catalog=aspnet-MvcApplication1-20140225162244;Integrated Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|\aspnet-MvcApplication1-20140225162244.mdf" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
Data Source property to
Now you might get the same or a different exception message:
The ASP.NET Simple Membership database could not be initialized. For more information, please see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=256588
but the linked page doesn’t tell you how to fix it.
The inner exception is more helpful:
Directory lookup for the file "c:\...etc...\MvcApplication1\App_Data\aspnet-MvcApplication1-20140225162244.mdf" failed with the operating system error 5(Access is denied.). CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check related errors.
Which tells you that the login account under which SQL Server is running doesn’t have write permissions to the directory in which you write you code. It does have write permissions in the SQL Server data directory, for instance
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA so you’d think that by looking at that directory to see what user it runs under you’d be able to give it permissions.
Almost. The Explorer GUI Security tab showed me a usergroup called ‘MSSQLSERVER’ but if you try to give permissions to that group you’ll find it doesn’t exist. More helpful is the command line:
cacls "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL"
which, if you look carefully at the output,
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)R NT SERVICE\MSSQLSERVER:(OI)(CI)R
shows you that you the actual name is
So I gave modify permissions on my
App_Data directory to
NT SERVICE\MSSQLSERVER (I carefully copy-pasted the full name) and it worked.